Wednesday, August 6, 2014

K'nex 101: Different K'nex Building Components (plus a tip!)

Those of you are really familiar with K'nex have probably noticed that I stick to the original K'nex connectors and rods. However, those aren't the only types of K'nex out there. Now, I'm not quite so up-to-date with their newest items, but the three main building components are regular K'nex, micro-K'nex, and K'nex blocks. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to unearth my micro-K'nex and and K'nex blocks, but they are just what they sound like. Micro-K'nex are just smaller versions of the regular K'nex. You can make the same things with each, but they'll just turn out smaller using micros. K'nex blocks are similar to LEGO's. You can actually use them in conjunction with each other, but K'nex blocks are also able to be used with other K'nex building components. As soon as I can find them, I will shoot pictures of them. However, I wanted to clarify that 95% of the time, I will be using the regular, original K'nex rods and connectors, not micro or blocks. Reason being, I don't have a whole lot of the blocks and micros because most of my K'nex came from older, mixed lots of K'nex.

Thrifty Tips: K'nex can be expensive, but that doesn't have to deter you from building with K'nex. Ebay is a great place to get them secondhand. Also, I've been able to find sets as well as mixed cases at Thrift Stores for much cheaper than brand new sets. In addition, garage sales are usually going to have the most discounted price on knex, but they can be harder to find among all the garage sales out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

K'nex Shadowbox for Small Gaming Characters

For a while now, my husband has been wanting a shadowbox or display case for his gaming action figures. I was going to buy him one for his ...